This is a bit of a cheat in gluten free terms. It’s all natural ingredients so there’s no substitutes or special sauces but I thought I’d share my top tips for a great roast and a delicious gravy base.
- Force butter under the skin. Take slivers of butter and push them up under the skin from front to back. This ensures the butter melts throughout the meat keeping it super tender and juicy.
- Rub a little oil and salt into the skin. This crisps up the outer skin making it a luxurious colour.
- Cook the chicken covered for the majority of time then leave it uncovered for the last twenty minutes. This gives you the dark golden colours without over cooking.
- Boil the potatoes for 5-10 minutes then drain. Leave them in the pot and shake it about to roughen the edges without smashing them to bits. This creates a rough outer that will soak up the butter and chicken juices then crisp in the oven.
- The potatoes will roast in the last 40 minutes, the veg in the last 20 so you can cook everything in one dish (after boiling the potatoes) and get the benefit of the chicken juice and melting butter throughout.
- Spoon the juices over everything and roll the potatoes in the liquids a couple of times during cooking.
- Serve the juices with each portion or drain off and add water and corn flour to make it go further and thicken.